I've got the scoop on the best locations in Santa Barbara for family photos!
How to pick the best type of location for your Santa Barbara family photo session
Here in Santa Barbara, we are fortunate to have beautiful weather almost 365 days a year. And from the mountains to the ocean, we have an abundance of locations within a 20-minute drive from downtown Santa Barbara. We live in such a beautiful part of the country and I love including this natural beauty in your family photographs.
Here are a few things to consider when selecting the best location for your family photography session in Santa Barbara.
1. What does your family like to do for fun? How do you all like to spend your time?
Make sure you are choosing a location that will best suit your family's personality. For example, if you love hiking together, we may want to head to the foothills or mountains.
2. Consider the ages of your children.
If you have super young kiddos the bluffs may not be a great choice because of the high cliffs. Perhaps an open field in the foothills or a park may be the best location.
3. Take into account the season and expected weather. For example, the beach can get cold and windy in the late winter.
Here are the different types of locations Santa Barbara has to offer for family photography-
1. Urban. Santa Barbara has some beautiful urban locations that show off our historical architecture as well as some great textures. There are so many options: The Funk Zone, Old Mission, courthouse, harbor, Stearn's Wharf, and The Santa Barbara Historical Museum to name a few.
2. Beach. We have an abundance of beaches right here along our coast! From the pier and cliffs at Haskels, to rows of palm trees at Leadbetter, and the iconic stone railing at Butterfly.
3. Bluffs. From the Douglas Preserve to the Ellwood Bluffs, we have many high cliffs lined with Eucalyptus trees and high grasses overlooking our favorite beaches.
4. Foothills. We have a few foothill preserves and open spaces right here in Santa Barbara, Goleta, and Carpinteria. If your family loves to spend time in nature, the foothills may be the best location for your session!
5. Park. Santa Barbara, Montecito, and Goleta are chock full of gorgeous parks! Parks can be especially beautiful in the fall when the leaves are changing. This makes a lovely backdrop for your family photos.
6. Los Padres National Forrest. Just 20 minutes up the 154 we have boulders the size of houses! With views of the entire city and the Channel Islands, you can make quite an adventure out of your family photoshoot!